Advertisements

Can Skinny Black Girls Get Some Love Too?

There isn’t much love for skinny girls in the black community. Trust me; I would know. I’m only 102 pounds, a size 2 in jeans, and an a-cup. I can’t count how many times I had to try and hold my head up as other girls in school laughed at my body. Or how many male eyes slid past me as the owner looked for the next girl worthy of his attention. And, honestly, I don’t think I want to try.

Simply put, black culture is saturated by a love for “thickness.”

Shantel Santiago, 19, of Rochester, remembers being told she had “a white girl butt,” a common insult hurled at thin girls.

“I was embarrassed at first,” she said, about the size of her butt. She later came to terms with it when she began “seeing obese people with very large butts” and didn’t want hers to be like that. Although Santiago has grown to like her body more, she said that on a scale 1-10, she only likes it about 5.

“I’d like some bigger boobs,” she said.

Bigger boobs, wider hips, and a butt with its own climate. This is what we want our women to look like.  We tried everything from cheap and illegal butt injections that caused countless women to lose limbs and face other health issues to ridiculously unhealthy eating that caused 80% of middle-aged women to be overweight and 25% to have diabetes.

Yet, these standards persist. Splashed across magazines, dancing in front of cars on videos, and sang about in our music. There is no reprieve. If young girls turn to the media to form their own standards and to understand the world around them, what are we teaching them? That they’re ugly. And there is nothing worse to young women than being ugly, especially in a society that places such emphasis on beauty.

To fight these standards, I turned to supermodels to learn to love myself. Ironic, I know. But Tyra Banks, Naomi Campbell, and Iman were being paid to be skinny. I began to learn about other cultures that prized my natural thinness, because it was nice to know that someone thought I was pretty. Finally, I worked to develop everything else about me. Eating and being extremely lazy didn’t give me the body I wanted, but books and writing could give me the brain I wanted.

On the same scale I gave to Santiago, I would rate my body a 9. Don’t get me wrong, I am still trying to gain weight. However, it’s not to be considered pretty by Lil Wayne, but so I can finally give blood. I still think curvy is beautiful, but I think there’s a little room in our beauty standards to squeeze skinny chicks in.

Just please don’t leave us out in the cold! We don’t have enough padding to keep ourselves warm.

Advertisements

Tags: , , , , , ,

Categories: Article, Editorial

Author:TiannaManon

I absolutely love to write! I am a Journalism and Political-Science Dual-Degree at Rochester Institute of Technology. I hope to inspire all of my readers to better their own lives and to be proactive in their communities. There is nothing more important, or more rewarding, than giving back!

Subscribe to our RSS feed and social profiles to receive updates.

12 Comments on “Can Skinny Black Girls Get Some Love Too?”

1. E
    May 16, 2016 at 10:05 pm #

I am a skinny black girl…
    I hate it so much. I wear baggy clothes now because when I used to wear skinny jeans…black boys would always talk about me and my thick friends would always tell me “I wanna be your size” and I would get so mad because I would kill to have their bodies. It’s just annoying and I hate when people tell me “you need to eat” what do you think I’ve been doing??? I’ve been stuffing myself, trying to stretch my stomach so I could hold more food but nothing works. I feel like I’ll never get thick and that depresses me. I will always hate my body and I know I’ll be single forever because I don’t think I’ll ever be comfortable with a guy having to be with this…stupid skinny body…

2. clark
    November 2, 2015 at 6:03 am #

thin black women are so rare, you should be proud. Just cuz others eat to much dont make them pretty.

• Rhondayes
      January 2, 2016 at 7:51 pm #

Shut up. All of those fat ass white girls. You’re a fool trying delusion to stop people realizing the obesity epidemic in the white race. The white race ONLY advertises thin white girls, but in real life every other one of those pudding faces have weight issues. So stop lying or trying to get other to swallow your lies. As for Black girls there are a significant number of big girls, but there are far more thin and healthy and curvy black girls that are not shown in the media. They’ve been pushing the Aunt Jemima theme for so long they will never change. Tell the truth. Liar.

3. Troy
    March 10, 2014 at 2:48 pm #

I guess I’m in the minority but I am seriously only attracted to thin Black girls ….which surprises people because at first glance you wouldn’t guess that about me. I look like like Michael Chiklis

4. E...
    February 18, 2014 at 1:54 am #

I love skinny women , so.if your in Cleveland holla at me

@black__ass

5. ronlove
    March 22, 2013 at 2:17 pm #

I will always love my skinny girl so if need I’m here for you all 3477223626

6. M
    March 9, 2013 at 7:59 pm #

i feel your pain sister, our black men love thick women. but they also love, white, asian, and hispanic chicks as well. my solution is to go where i am appreciated. i am not waiting on my black man to finally get tired of chasing the big butts and boobs. I am the same size as Mei Ling, or Tammi Sue, but because i am black and a size 3; i am suppose to be looked over? Whatever, there are white and asian men who love black women.

• william
      March 10, 2013 at 2:26 pm #

and i am one of them, i absolutely love and adore a skinny black woman. that has got to be the sexiest woman alive.

• March 10, 2013 at 2:37 pm #

“Go where I am appreciated.” I love that line! I definitely admire your strong will, it’s just sad so many girl like us can’t exhibit it. I know it took most of my teenage years to get to where I am. and it’s only getting worse for girls. New technological advances put it EVERYWHERE. when I was 12 we just had MySpace and BET

7. Jjvon
    February 14, 2013 at 7:54 pm #

When you know your worth, the world will too.

8. Superman
    January 9, 2013 at 3:44 am #

I don’t like to read much, but I enjoyed reading this article. You bring up a very valid point. Even so though, you have to remember, there are all different types of preferences in society. Tyrone may like them thick, Jerry may like them skinny, and I may like them in-between. The only thing that matters is the attitude of the girl/guy. I think that if the girl loves her body, the right guy damn sure will.

9. Toya
    January 9, 2013 at 3:30 am #

Nice article. It’s too bad that in 2013 young ladies are still expected to live up to the male standard of beauty while the expectations for men seem to be lower. Be yourself and love yourself and the rest will fall into place.