Advertisements

Make Every Day a New Year

With school, family, friends, and work on our plates it makes perfect sense that most of us are unable to fulfill our New Year’s resolutions. However, that doesn’t mean that we shouldn’t take the time to reflect on the past year and think of how to better ourselves for the coming one!

First of all, New Year’s Eve isn’t some portal into a parallel world through which we have to cross to finally achieve a better us. Contrary to popular belief, this “portal” is open all year-round. A nicer, slimmer, or harder-working us can be attained June 1st, the furthest day from New Year’s. There is always time in the year to remake ourselves. In fact, there’s time during the day to do so. Maybe it starts by choosing a salad for lunch, or maybe we bite back that sharp response and simply listen to our teachers. Whatever your goal is, it does not have to start with some huge announcement. It may be born in the mundane activities of our everyday life.

According to a study by the University of Bristol, 80% of people do not fulfill their resolutions. However, I guarantee that 80% of us are not allowing the possibility of achieving our goals to idle, or as Langston Hughes would say, “dry up like a raisin in the sun” or “fester like a sore.” So while, I offer my congratulations to that 20%, I will say that you all simply had a head-start and that we, the 80%, are quickly encroaching.

So, don’t feel bad if a few weeks from now you haven’t worked towards fulfilling tonight’s self-promise or if you can’t even remember it, because you have all of 2012 to correct your flaws and enhance your strengths. Regardless of if you fall into the 20% or the 80%, I wish you the best in all of your ventures for the coming year.

Happy New Year!

Xoxo, Tianna

Advertisements

Tags: , , , , ,

Categories: Editorial

Author:TiannaManon

I absolutely love to write! I am a Journalism and Political-Science Dual-Degree at Rochester Institute of Technology. I hope to inspire all of my readers to better their own lives and to be proactive in their communities. There is nothing more important, or more rewarding, than giving back!

Subscribe to our RSS feed and social profiles to receive updates.

7 Comments on “Make Every Day a New Year”

1. December 6, 2014 at 9:18 am #

My name is Dorthea. I live in Villapiccola, Italy.I randomly stumble on talkback4teens.com.
    I just want to say that I liked your blog post about
    “Make Every Day a New Year “.

2. April 3, 2012 at 2:51 pm #

I really liked the topic because of its optimism and reality. It tells you that is ever to late to make a change in your life. So if you have been having problems with either an adiction or some sort of obsesion you can use a resolution to attempt to change it. The only time I have ever made a resolution and kept is when I was in 6th grade and basically it was to get better grades so I could basketball. I did raise my grades and was able to play to basketball. Even though it was difficult I was glad that I made the commitment because I really enjoyed that basketball season.

3. Natalie
    April 3, 2012 at 2:47 pm #

I believe we can make a resolution every week or month. When we catch ourselves going against that resolution, we can correct ourselves. For example, if we resolved to try to be a better friend and then catch ourselves gossiping about our friends,we can apologize to those individuals (with God’s help)and try not to do that next time the opportunity presents itself. It is very important you don’t think you are going to fail at your resolution before you even start. When you resolve to do something do it with all you have within you! For example, once I resolved to read a mystical book called the Merchant’s Apprentice I usually don’t read more.I didn’t really believe that I would, and I didn’t,because I was forcing myself. When I did read and believe I could finish I did,because I saw it as an enjoyment not a torture agent.

4. michael jones
    April 3, 2012 at 2:46 pm #

i think the ideal of making every day a new year is a great ideal. because each new year you make new goals, and different things for your self to accomplish and do.one of my goals is that i wont let any one bring my day down,and no matter what i will be happy and enjoy by day

5. brad walch
    April 3, 2012 at 2:43 pm #

I really like the title of this topic because I believe that it’s never to late to start a new year’s resolution. My dad had worked out when he was in his twenties. Then he got married and stopped, and me and my brothers wanted him to start again. My dad always had excuses why he couldn’t get back on the horse and start over again. In January of 2012 he started working out again and me and my family were completely dumbfounded. Like I said it’s never too late to start a new year’s resolution.

6. brianna!!
    April 3, 2012 at 2:33 pm #

thats a really good idea, and i hope more kids read this because i think they would get alot of good insperation. keep up the good work!!!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Get Ready For College! Part 3 of 5 | TALKBACK4Teens - June 20, 2012

[…] 6 months ago, I wrote how New Year’s is an excellent time to reevaluate yourself, but that it shouldn’t be the only time. This is an especially good time for students going into […]